GAYLORD HIGH SCHOOL CROSS COUNTRY TEAM CAMP 2009
Who: For PARENTS AND PARTICIPANTS!
Where: Munising Michigan, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
Campground – Munising Tourist Park Campground (906) 387-3145
Coach’s Cell Phone – (989) 370-0924
Cost: I will collect $90 from each participant on Aug. 7th at the 7pm meet at GAYLORD HIGH SCHOOL. If you cannot attend please just give me CASH before we get in the vehicles when we leave on August 11th !! – PLEASE NO CHECKS – CASH ONLY – IF YOU MUST DO A CHECK MAKE IT OUT TO ME, JEFF KALEMBER, SO WE CAN CASH IT BEFORE WE LEAVE. This cost covers camping fees, a camp T-shirt, ferry to the Island, gas, food, snacks, etc. The money you pay will also cover lunch and dinner each day – you will provide your own breakfast (cereal is what most people do) and you will also pay for your own DINNER Wednesday and lunch Thursday (lunch on Mackinac Island). If the $90 fee is too much for you, please talk to me privately -- this fee should not prevent anyone from attending camp. In addition to the registration cost, you should have some spending money for snacks, souvenirs, etc. (Just so you know where your $90 goes here is a list of expenses per athlete – Tshirt $10, gas $15, ferry to Mac. Island $15, camping fees $10 – food $40) Any leftover money will be divided up and returned to runners !! Usually we have NO money left over and have to use a portion of our fund-raising money to cover costs for camp. It’s not cheap to feed and transport 30+ kids around for 4 days!!
In addition to me, we have the Kassubas, Ann Wagar, Matt Warren, the Avenall’s and Lisa Dreyer as parent chaperones. Parent volunteers responsibilities include shuttling camp participants to trails, grocery shopping, helping to organize meals, and enjoying the beauty of Michigan’s great Upper Peninsula. Your help is really appreciated; this wouldn’t be possible without you! There is NO charge for parents who attend and we’ll feed you and pay your gas money! It’s like a mini vacation for you ! If you are a parent and cannot go this year – think about next year!! We can always use extra help.
Don’t forget !!
• Parents: if you can go, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP ! ! firstname.lastname@example.org or call
• Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday breakfast – EVERYONE MUST BRING THEIR OWN BREAKFAST FOR 3 MORNINGS! Last year most people just brought along a box of their favorite cereal. (WE WILL PROVIDE THE MILK) Breakfast will also include fruits, juice, bagels, etc provided by your $90 camp fees.
• Thursday dinner & Friday lunch – you need to have your own $$
• YOU NEED YOUR PHYSICAL DONE BEFORE YOU LEAVE AND YOU NEED A PARENT CONSENT FORM SIGNED BEFORE YOU LEAVE, *No PHYSICAL? NO GO! So, be sure to get it done.
• No headphones, walkmans allowed out during the DAY, but it is fine to listen to music in your tent when you are going to bed (after 10pm).
• All school rules apply.
• Camp is a POSITIVE experience. We do not run FAST, but we do go a long ways. Get yourself in shape and be prepared to run. More importantly, be prepared to “bond” with your team. A team that plays together is a team that runs harder for their teammates. NO whining allowed.
Our tentative schedule
Tuesday August 11 - 9:00 am: Meet at GHS, front parking lot
QUICK TEAM MEETING BEFORE WE LEAVE – rules and regs
9:05 am: Drive to Munising !
*******Have a BAG lunch/snacks for the ride up – light with plenty of liquids.
1:00 pm: Set up camp, tents, get organized, quick dive in Lake Superior to cool off.
1-2pm Subway Lunch for snacking on …
2:00pm : TEAM CAMP SURVIVOR Competitions # 1 – “Coach needs help.”
3pm Head out to Munising Falls for RUN #1 – run from 330pm to 5 pm
530pm: Run done, back to campground.
6pm Clean up, shower
6-7:00 pm: Pizza for dinner
8pm – TEAM CAMP SURVIVOR Competition #2 – “Balance and Endurance”
9pm boys meeting
930pm girls meeting
Wendesday, Aug. 12 – 8:00 am: Up at and at’em – light breakfast, liquids
9:00 am: off to our run
10am – Arrive Chapel Area – start 10 mile loop run (6 mile if you’re new to team)
(this is a BEAUTIFUL, great run, bring a water bottle – this is REQUIRED, camera?)
1:30pm – run done, back to campground
2pm - late lunch, sandwiches, chips
2-5pm Beach time at Autrain – a river and world’s best beach, volleyball !
5:00 pm: Dinner – hot dogs and hamburgers on the fire !
6pm TEAM CAMP SURVIVOR Competition #3 – “Important XC trivia challenge”
630-830 Free time – football on beach? Swimming?
830pm TEAM CAMP SURVIVOR Competition #4 – “Do you know your teammates?”
9:00 pm: Boys team meeting
9:30 pm: Girls team meeting
Thursday, Aug. 13. 9:00 am: light breakfast, lots of liquids
10:00 am: Potato Patch to Mosquito Run -
12:30 pm: Lunch, back at CHAPEL BEACH
2:00 pm: Beach Football game.
5:00: Dinner ON YOUR OWN IN TOWN – HAVE YOUR OWN $$$$$$$
6-8pm Free time in town – harbor, downtown - CONCERT or surprise.
8:00 TEAM SURVIVOR COMPETITION #5 “Scavenger Hunt”
8:30 Awarding of TEAM CAMP SURVIVOR TROPHY – BOYS OR GIRLS ????
9:30 Girls meeting followed by boys meeting.
Friday, Aug 14 8:00 am: up, pack up camp, hit the road for Mackinac Island
11:00 am: In Mackinac City and to Island
12 noon: Run around Mackinac Island
2:00 pm – Lunch, and free time until we leave the Island at 5PM
5:00 pm – Ferry off Island
7:00 pm – Arrive GHS parking lots for parent pickup
Monday Aug 17 through Friday Aug. 21 -- Practice at 9am at ASPEN PARK !!
Here is a fairly complete list of what to take on the trip for CC team camp.
1. RUNNING SHOES – two pair if you have them – one pair might get wet, I’ve seen it happen.
2. running shorts – again, two pair is best
3. T-shirts for running
4. Socks x 4-5 pair
5. Windbreaker in case its cool
6. WATER BOTTLE (old pop bottles work great) – you WILL BE REQUIRED TO CARRY ONE WITH YOU ON OUR TUESDAY RUN SO YOU DON’T GET DEHYDRATED LIKE DREW WATTS.
7. Pants – one pair should be fine for cool evenings
8. SWEATSHIRT – it gets COLD at night (light fleece coat works well too)
9. HAT – yes, I said hat as in WINTER hat, remember we are in da UP
10. sandals for after running
11. Long sleeve T-shirt
12. BUG REPELLENT – can you say DEET
13. Towel (maybe 2)
14. FOLD UP SMALL LAWN CHAIR
15. hiking type shoes
16. football (nerf ?), Frisbee, cards, ball,
17. Towel or two
18. sleeping bag
20. FLASHLIGHT –
21. Tent – lets try to get our groups together ASAP so you know who you will be with
22. Rain gear – a poncho is probably fine
23. Toilet articles – toothbrush, shampoo, etc
24. Extra set of clothes in case you get wet
25. Sun block
26. BOWL, PLATE, FORK, SPOON, CUP – you will be responsible for these items after every meal – clean up after yourself so parents don’t have to !! If you don’t bring them you don’t eat!
27. Please do not bring more than is necessary – space will be limited and tight.
28. Daypack for going to the beach.
29. Box of cereal or whatever else you like for breakfast.
30. THE FORM ON THE NEXT PAGE !!– your parent must sign it at the bottom as their understanding that you know about the camp rules. NO FORM – NO GO ! Give it to ME when we leave on August 11TH.
32. Your physical – you must have a physical to go to team camp. TURN IN TO ME OR TO GHS OFFICE SECRETARY
33. Remember – someone in your group needs a tent ! You will either have one group tent OR several tents. Make sure someone takes care of this !
34. A positive TEAM attitude. We’re not going to camp to hang out with your friends. We’re going to camp to meet new people, share a cool experience and bond with the people that will be your family for the next 2.5 months.
1. Any participant who is in possession of or using a tobacco product, alcoholic beverage, or illegal drugs will be dismissed immediately. In addition, anyone “associating” with anyone using tobacco, alcohol, or drugs will be dismissed immediately.
2. No participant leaves the group or the campsite without permission.
3. Respect other teammates’ property, and camping equipment. Keep your areas clean, leave them in better condition than we found them.
4. No littering ! Obey ALL campground rules.
5. If you decide to swim during your free time or go for a walk, do NOT go alone and check with an adult FIRST.
6. Any participant who is caught stealing will be immediately sent home.
7. No fireworks, firecrackers, or weapons of any kind.
8. In this coed camp the boys will ONLY be in boy tents and the girls will ONLY be in girl tents. No exceptions.
9. When running ALWAYS stay in groups of THREE while on the trails.
10. We run on a National Lakeshore – this is the equivalent of a National Park. Please be respectful of other hikers on the trails. Be quiet and STAY OUT OF the fenced off areas. The cliffs rise 150+ feet above rocky shorelines and are not a place to “mess around.”
I have read and understand the rules and policies for this camp trip and agree to do my part in making the trip a success for all. I will abide by the rules and policies as presented here. Please return this sheet to coach the morning that we leave for camp.
In addition- Are there any physical problems we need to be aware of? Asthma? Heart problems? Etc. please describe fully.