Thanks for the gifts XC teams!! I'm wearing my snuggie and adidas socks while i type this quote from the "Little Black Book for Athletes." I think it summarizes EXACTLY what i try to say on a daily basis. You can have all the talent in the world and go nowhere. Or you can maximize the talent you have and go very far in life.
Here are the 7 things talent cannot do.
1. TALENT CANNOT MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES FOR YOU. No matter what your talent level, when you hit tough choices, on and off the playing field, you have make those choices just like everyone else.
2. TALENT CANNOT BUILD TEAM UNITY. Team unity begins when each runner knows that they are part of a whole. No matter how talented the individual is, no one can succeed alone.
3. TALENT CANNOT MAKE YOUR TEAMMATES BETTER. You have to work to make the people around you better. Elevating the speed of your team takes time and patience.
4. TALENT CANNOT HUSTLE. Talent will fail in tough circumstances, but you can make those circumstances work in your favor by doing the things that don't show up on the stat sheets.
5. TALENT CANNOT TEACH YOU. Taking the time to listen to those who have been where you are will help you take your game to the next level.
6. TALENT CANNOT KEEP YOU IN SHAPE. In running, talent without physical conditioning is often worse than having no talent at all. It makes the runner think "Why am i not as good as i used to be?" In fact, you ARE as good as you used to be... you just need to put in the miles and show everyone that this is the case. Work hard to get in great shape, and your talent will shine even brighter.
7. TALENT CANNOT PRESERVE YOUR REPUTATION. The sports world is full of people who sacrificed their potential influence for temporary satisfaction. You will increase your influence if you use your talent the right way and choose a good reputation.