HERE IS THE TEAM CAMP INFORMATION. THE LAST PART IS THE FORM YOU MUST PRINT AND SIGN. I WILL ALSO HAVE COPIES OF ALL OF THIS AT THE PARENT MEETING (AUGUST 13TH 7PM AT GHS). THIS MEETING IS NOT MANDATORY, BUT JUST A WAY FOR MEET TO MEET WITH THOSE PARENTS WHO WOULD LIKE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT TEAM CAMP. I WILL ALSO COLLECT THE $100 TEAM CAMP FEE (PLEASE CASH CASH CASH ONLY) AT THE PARENT MEETING. IF YOU CANNOT ATTEND THE MEETING SEND THE $100 IN WITH YOUR ATHLETE TO PRACTICE OR PAY THE DAY WE LEAVE FOR CAMP (AUGUST 20). SORRY TO SHOUT IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS BUT I WANT YOU TO HEAR THIS INFORMATION.
GAYLORD HIGH SCHOOL CROSS COUNTRY TEAM CAMP 2015
Who: For PARENTS AND PARTICIPANTS!
Where: Munising Michigan, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
Campground – Munising Tourist Park Campground (906) 387-3145
Coach’s Cell Phone – (989) 370-0924
Cost: I will collect $100 from each participant at our PARENT MEETING on Thursday August 13th at 7pm at GHS !! If you prefer to wait and pay the $100 on the day we leave (Aug 18th ) that is fine too. – PLEASE NO NO NO NO CHECKS – CASH ONLY – IF YOU MUST DO A CHECK MAKE IT OUT TO ME, JEFF KALEMBER, SO WE CAN CASH IT BEFORE WE LEAVE. This cost covers camping fees, a
ferry to the camp T-shirt Island, gas, food, snacks, etc. The
money you pay will also cover lunch and dinner each day – you will provide your
own breakfast (cereal is what most people do) and you will also pay for your
own DINNER Wednesday and lunch Thursday (lunch on Mackinac
Island). If the $100 fee is
too much for you, please talk to me privately -- this fee should not prevent anyone from attending camp. In addition to the registration cost, you
should have some spending money for snacks, souvenirs, etc. (Just so you know where your $100 goes here
is a list of expenses per athlete – Tshirt $10, gas $15, ferry to Mac. Island
$15, camping fees $10 – food $40) Any leftover money will be used for POST RACE
MEALS DURING THE SEASON – we will order pizzas, buy Gatorade, drinks for meets,
etc !! Last year we had enough leftover
money to buy pizza after 2 of our XC meets during the season and lots of snacks
and Gatorade for before meets.
Have two kids going to camp? Second child is half price, $50!!
In addition to me, we have the Kassubas, Desloovers Warrens, Beth Marshall, Samantha Hunt, Jeff Hervela, Khara Curtiss as parent chaperones. Parent volunteers’ responsibilities include shuttling camp participants to trails, grocery shopping, helping to organize meals, and enjoying the beauty of Michigan’s great Upper Peninsula. Your help is really appreciated; this wouldn’t be possible without you! There is NO charge for parents who attend and we’ll feed you and pay your gas money! It’s like a mini vacation for you ! If you are a parent and cannot go this year – think about next year!! We can always use extra help.
Don’t forget !!
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday breakfast – EVERYONE MUST BRING THEIR OWN BREAKFAST FOR 3 MORNINGS! Most people just bring along a box of their favorite cereal. (WE WILL PROVIDE THE MILK) Breakfast will also include fruits, juice, bagels, etc provided by your camp fees.
- WEDNESDAY dinner & THURSDAY lunch – you need to have your own $$
- YOU NEED YOUR PHYSICAL DONE BEFORE YOU LEAVE AND YOU NEED A PARENT CONSENT FORM SIGNED BEFORE YOU LEAVE, *No PHYSICAL? NO GO! So, be sure to get it done.
- No headphones, iPods, OR CELL PHONES allowed out during the DAY, but it is fine to listen to music in your tent when you are going to bed (after 10pm). AS USUAL I AM ALSO BANNING CELL PHONES DURING THE DAY. I DON’T MIND IF YOU HAVE TO OCCASIONALLY CHECK A TEXT MESSAGE OR TWO, OR SEND A PHOTO TO FACEBOOK, BUT EXCESSIVE USE OF YOUR PHONES WILL GET YOU BANNED. ALSO, FROM 6-10PM IS CAMPFIRE TIME. NO CELL PHONE USE AT ALL DURING THIS TIME. THIS IS THE TIME WHERE YOU BOND WITH YOUR TEAM. Your goal is not to stay in touch with your friends back home!! Your goal IS to hang out with your XC friends. During TEAM CHALLENGES PHONES will be allowed and encouraged so you can take pics of your winning team and post to facebook so the losing team gets acknowledged.
- All school rules apply.
- Camp is a POSITIVE experience. We do not run FAST, but we do go a long ways. Get yourself in shape and be prepared to run. More importantly, be prepared to “bond” with your team. A team that plays together is a team that runs harder for their teammates. NO whining allowed.
Our tentative schedule
Monday August 17 - 9:00 am: Meet at GHS, front parking lot
QUICK TEAM MEETING BEFORE WE LEAVE – rules and regs
9:05 am: Drive to GRAND MARAIS – WHERE WE WILL RUN AT THE LOG SLIDE
Have a BAG lunch/snacks for the ride up – light with plenty of liquids, AND BE PREPARED TO RUN – COME DRESSED TO RUN, THERE IS NO PLACE TO CHANGE!! You need to wear your running clothes on the ride. Also have a towel handy
1:30 pm: Arrive at GRAND SABLE DUNES, the LOG SLIDE to run.
1:30 – 2:30 6-8 mile run along beautiful Lake Superior – Log Slide to 12 Mile Beach
3:00pm – run done, quick swim -- so have a towel packed in your day bag.
We will provide a good solid lunch after the run, SUBWAY!!
4pm Drive to Munising on H-58
5pm: Arrive Campground, QUICK CHALLENGE #1 – Questions!! Winning team gets to choose their campsite and have losers deliver firewood.
6pm After tents set up and we eat PIZZA
7:00 pm: Challenge #2 – BURN THAT ROPE and start a fire.
8pm – Campfire, smores and hydration.
9pm boys meeting, followed by girls meeting
Tuesday, Aug. 18 – 8:00 am: Up at and at’em – light breakfast, liquids
: off to our run
– Arrive Chapel Area – start 10 mile loop run (6 mile if you’re new to team)
(this is a BEAUTIFUL, great run, bring a water bottle – this is REQUIRED, camera?)
2pm – run done, back to campground
230pm - late lunch, sandwiches, chips
3-5pm Beach time at Autrain – a river and world’s best beach, and a bridge jump.
: Dinner – hot dogs and hamburgers on the fire !
6pm TEAM CAMP SURVIVOR Competition #3 – “BAMBOO BALANCE”
7pm CAMPFIRE TIME
830pm TEAM CAMP SURVIVOR Competition #4 – “Bouncy Bouncy Balloon” 9:00 pm: Boys team meeting, followed by girls meeting
Wednesday, Aug. 19 9:00 am: light breakfast, lots of liquids
10:00 am: Time Trial 5k Challenge #5!! Who wins boys or girls?
12:30 pm: Lunch, back at Miner’s Beach – WHICH END???
2:00 pm: Beach Football game, Frisbee, swim out to point, rock climbing, fun
5:00: Dinner ON YOUR OWN IN TOWN – HAVE YOUR OWN $$$$$$$
715 – Survivor #6 – Do you know ur XC trivia?
Girls meeting followed by boys meeting.
Thursday, Aug 20 7:30 am: up, pack up camp,
8:30am hit the road for Mackinac Island
and to Island Mackinac
11:30 – HIT THE FERRY!!!
12 noon: Run around Mackinac Island, or HIT THE TRAILS
– Lunch, and free time until we leave the
– Ferry off
6:30- 645 pm – Arrive GHS parking lots for parent pickup
THIS LAST PART IS THE PART YOU MUST PRINT AND SIGN OR SIGN AT THE PARENT MEETING.
- Any participant who is in possession of or using a tobacco product, alcoholic beverage, or illegal drugs will be dismissed immediately. In addition, anyone “associating” with anyone using tobacco, alcohol, or drugs will be dismissed immediately and taken back to Gaylord.
- No participant leaves the group or the campsite without permission.
- Respect other teammates’ property, and camping equipment. Keep your areas clean; leave them in better condition than we found them.
- No littering! Obey ALL campground rules.
- If you decide to swim during your free time or go for a walk, do NOT go alone and check with an adult FIRST.
- Any participant who is caught stealing will be immediately sent home.
- No fireworks, firecrackers, or weapons of any kind.
- In this coed camp the boys will ONLY be in boy tents and the girls will ONLY be in girl tents. No exceptions.
- When running ALWAYS stay in groups of THREE while on the trails.
- We run on a National Lakeshore – this is the equivalent of a National Park. Please be respectful of other hikers on the trails. Be quiet and STAY OUT OF the fenced off areas. The cliffs rise 150+ feet above rocky shorelines and are not a place to “mess around.”
- Some areas of the National Lakeshore are OFF LIMITS. DO NOT GO OVER FENCES or PAST MARKERS THAT SAY “DO NOT ENTER” AS THE RANGERS WILL CATCH YOU AND YOU WILL HAVE A $100 FINE, I’M NOT JOKING.
I have read and understand the rules and policies for this camp trip and agree to do my part in making the trip a success for all. I will abide by the rules and policies as presented here. Please return this sheet to coach the morning that we leave for camp.
In addition- Are there any physical problems we need to be aware of? Asthma? Heart problems? Food allergies? Etc. please describe fully.