YOU MUST HAVE A PHYSICAL ON FILE AT GHS TO RUN. NO PHYSICAL NO RUN.
PRACTICE IS AUG 10, 11, 12 AT 9AM AT ASPEN PARK.
Parent meeting 6pm August 10th at Gaylord High School
TEAM CAMP IS AUG 15-18th, 9AM DEPARTURE FROM FRONT PARKING LOT GHS.
- team camp is not mandatory, if you are not prepared for team camp you start practice on August 22nd, 9am at Aspen Park.
REMIND -- please send a text message to the number 81010 with the message @mrkalembe
Yes, there is no R on the end of it!!! This will sign you up for text reminders about upcoming meets, practices, etc This is a great way to communicate and you can message me back if you have questions.
GAYLORD HIGH SCHOOL CROSS COUNTRY TEAM CAMP 2016
Who: For PARENTS AND PARTICIPANTS!
Where: Munising Michigan, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
Campground – Munising Tourist Park Campground (906) 387-3145
Coach’s Cell Phone – (989) 370-0924
Cost: I will collect $100 from each participant at our PARENT MEETING on Wednesday August 10th at 6pm at GHS !! If you prefer to wait and pay the $100 on the day we leave (Aug 15th ) that is fine too. – PLEASE NO NO NO NO CHECKS – CASH ONLY – IF YOU MUST DO A CHECK MAKE IT OUT TO ME, JEFF KALEMBER, SO WE CAN CASH IT BEFORE WE LEAVE. This cost covers camping fees, a
ferry to the camp T-shirt Island, gas, food, snacks, etc. The
money you pay will also cover lunch and dinner each day – you will provide your
own breakfast (cereal is what most people do) and you will also pay for your
own DINNER Wednesday and lunch Thursday (lunch on Mackinac
Island). If the $100 fee is
too much for you, please talk to me privately -- this fee should not prevent anyone from attending camp. In addition to the registration cost, you
should have some spending money for snacks, souvenirs, etc. (Just so you know where your $100 goes here
is a list of expenses per athlete – Tshirt $15, gas $15, ferry to Mac. Island
$15, camping fees $15 – food $40) Any leftover money will be used for POST RACE
MEALS DURING THE SEASON – we will order pizzas, buy Gatorade, drinks for meets,
etc !! Last year we had enough leftover
money to buy pizza after 2 of our XC meets during the season and lots of snacks
and Gatorade for before meets.
Have two kids going to camp? Second child is half price, $50!!
In addition to me, we have the Kassubas, Desloovers Warrens, Samantha Hunt, Jeff Hervela, Matt Peterson, Kevin Fortune as parent chaperones. Parent volunteers’ responsibilities include shuttling camp participants to trails, grocery shopping, helping to organize meals, and enjoying the beauty of Michigan’s great Upper Peninsula. Your help is really appreciated; this wouldn’t be possible without you! There is NO charge for parents who attend and we’ll feed you and pay your gas money! It’s like a mini vacation for you ! If you are a parent and cannot go this year – think about next year!! We can always use extra help.
Don’t forget !!
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday breakfast – EVERYONE MUST BRING THEIR OWN BREAKFAST FOR 3 MORNINGS! Most people just bring along a box of their favorite cereal. (WE WILL PROVIDE THE MILK) Breakfast will also include fruits, juice, bagels, etc provided by your camp fees.
- WEDNESDAY dinner & THURSDAY lunch – you need to have your own $$
- YOU NEED YOUR PHYSICAL DONE BEFORE YOU LEAVE AND YOU NEED A PARENT CONSENT FORM SIGNED BEFORE YOU LEAVE, *No PHYSICAL? NO GO! So, be sure to get it done.
- AS USUAL I AM ALSO BANNING CELL PHONES DURING THE DAY. I DON’T MIND IF YOU HAVE TO OCCASIONALLY CHECK A TEXT MESSAGE OR TWO, OR SEND A PHOTO TO FACEBOOK, BUT EXCESSIVE USE OF YOUR PHONES WILL GET YOU BANNED. ALSO, FROM 6-10PM IS CAMPFIRE TIME. NO CELL PHONE USE AT ALL DURING THIS TIME. THIS IS THE TIME WHERE YOU BOND WITH YOUR TEAM. Your goal is not to stay in touch with your friends back home!! Your goal IS to hang out with your XC friends. During TEAM CHALLENGES PHONES will be allowed and encouraged so you can take pics of your winning team and post to facebook so the losing team gets acknowledged.
- All school rules apply.
- Camp is a POSITIVE experience. We do not run FAST, but we do go a long ways. Get yourself in shape and be prepared to run. More importantly, be prepared to “bond” with your team. A team that plays together is a team that runs harder for their teammates. NO whining allowed.
Our tentative schedule
Monday August 15 - 9:00 am: Meet at GHS, front parking lot
QUICK TEAM MEETING BEFORE WE LEAVE – rules and regs
9:05 am: Drive to GRAND MARAIS – WHERE WE WILL RUN AT THE LOG SLIDE
Have a BAG lunch/snacks for the ride up – light with plenty of liquids, AND BE PREPARED TO RUN – COME DRESSED TO RUN, THERE IS NO PLACE TO CHANGE!! You need to wear your running clothes on the ride. Also have a towel handy
1:30 pm: Arrive at GRAND SABLE DUNES, the LOG SLIDE to run.
1:30 – 2:30 6-8 mile run along beautiful Lake Superior – Log Slide to 12 Mile Beach
3:00pm – run done, quick swim -- so have a towel packed in your day bag.
We will provide a good solid lunch after the run, SUBWAY!!
4pm Drive to Munising on H-58
5pm: Arrive Campground, QUICK CHALLENGE #1 TIC TAC TOE
Winning team gets to choose their campsite and have losers deliver firewood.
6pm After tents set up and we eat PIZZA
7:00 pm: Challenge #2 – ELEPHANT TRUNK CHALLENGE
8pm – Campfire, smores and hydration.
9pm boys meeting, followed by girls meeting
Tuesday, Aug. 16 – 8:00 am: Up at and at’em – light breakfast, liquids
: off to our run
– Arrive Chapel Area – start 10 mile loop run (6 mile if you’re new to team)
(this is a BEAUTIFUL, great run, bring a water bottle – this is REQUIRED, camera?)
2pm – run done, back to campground
230pm - late lunch, sandwiches, chips
3-5pm Beach time at Autrain – a river and world’s best beach, and a bridge
: Dinner – hot dogs and hamburgers on the fire !
6pm TEAM CAMP SURVIVOR Competition #3 – “BALANCE”
7pm CAMPFIRE TIME
830pm TEAM CAMP SURVIVOR Competition #4 – “Bouncy Bouncy" 9:00 pm: Boys team meeting, followed by girls meeting
Wednesday, Aug. 17 9:00 am: light breakfast, lots of liquids
10:00 am: OFF TO MARQUETTE, run at South Trails on the NTN, Carp River
12:30 pm: Lunch at Wetmore Landing, beach time. HIKE SUGARLOAF
4:00 pm: Head back to Marquette/Munising
5:00: Dinner ON YOUR OWN IN TOWN – HAVE YOUR OWN $$$$$$$
715 – Survivor #6 – Do you know ur XC trivia?
Girls meeting followed by boys meeting.
Thursday, Aug 18 7:30 am: up, pack up camp,
8:30am hit the road for Mackinac Island
and to Island Mackinac
11:30 – HIT THE FERRY!!!
12 noon: Run around Mackinac Island, or HIT THE TRAILS
– Lunch, and free time until we leave the
– Ferry off
6:30- 645 pm – Arrive GHS parking lots for parent pickup
FRIDAY Aug 19 NO official practice –
M, T, W, Th Fri Aug 22-26 Practice at 9am Aspen Park
Saturday Aug 29th No Practice
Aug 29,30, Setp 1,2 Practice 3pm at GHS
Sept 3 no practice
Sept 7 First day of school, practice 3pm GHS
THE LIST: Here is a fairly complete list of what to take on the trip for CC team camp.
1. RUNNING SHOES – two pair if you have them – one pair might get wet, I’ve seen it happen.
2. running shorts – again, two pair is best
3. T-shirts for running
4. Socks x 4-5 pair
5. Windbreaker in case its cool
6. WATER BOTTLE (old pop bottles work great) – you WILL BE REQUIRED TO CARRY ONE WITH YOU ON OUR TUESDAY RUN SO YOU DON’T GET DEHYDRATED LIKE DREW WATTS.
7. Pants – one pair should be fine for cool evenings
8. SWEATSHIRT – it gets COLD at night (light fleece coat works well too)
9. Swimsuit –a must in lake superior
10. HAT – yes, I said hat as in WINTER hat, remember we are in da UP
11. sandals for after running
12. Long sleeve T-shirt
13. BUG REPELLENT – can you say DEET
14. Towel (maybe 2)
15. FOLD UP SMALL LAWN CHAIR
16. hiking type shoes and sandals
17. football (nerf ?), Frisbee, cards, ball, hula hoop, jarts, board games,
18. Towel or two
19. sleeping bag
21. FLASHLIGHT –
22. Tent – let’s try to get our groups together ASAP so you know who you will be with
23. Rain gear – a poncho is probably fine
24. Toilet articles – toothbrush, shampoo, etc
25. Extra set of clothes in case you get wet
26. Sun block
27. BOWL, PLATE, FORK, SPOON, CUP – you will be responsible for these items after every meal – clean up after yourself so parents don’t have to!! If you don’t bring them you don’t eat!
28. Please do not bring more than is necessary – space will be limited and tight.
29. Daypack for going to the beach.
30. Box of cereal or whatever else you like for breakfast.
31. THE FORM ON THE NEXT PAGE!!– your parent must sign it at the bottom as their understanding that you know about the camp rules. NO FORM – NO GO! Give it to ME when we leave on August 11TH.
32. Your physical – you must have a physical to go to team camp. TURN IN TO ME OR TO GHS OFFICE SECRETARY
33. Remember – someone in your group needs a tent! You will either have one group tent OR several tents. Make sure someone takes care of this!
34. A positive TEAM attitude. We’re not going to camp to hang out with your friends. We’re going to camp to meet new people, share a cool experience and bond with the people that will be your family for the next 2.5 months.